Ashok mehta comitte recommended?
1. The 3-tier system of Panchayati Raj should
be replaced by the 2-tier system: Zilla
Parishad at the district level, and below it,the
Mandal Panchayat consisting of a group of
villages covering a population of 15000 to
2. A district should be the first point for
decentralisation under popular supervision
below the state level.
3. Zila Parishad should be the executive body
and made responsible for planning at the
4. There should be an official participation of
political parties at all levels of Panchayat
5. The Panchayat Raj institutions should have
compulsory powers of taxation to mobilise
their own financial resources.
6. There should be a regular social audit by a
district level agency and by a committee of
legislators to check whether the funds allotted
for the vulnerable social and economic groups
are actually spent on them.
7. The state government should not supersede
the Panchayat Raj institutions. In case of an
imperative supersession, election should be
held within 6 months from the date of
8. The Nyaya Panchayats should be kept as
separate bodies from that of development
Panchayats. They should be presided over by a
9. The Chief Electoral Officer of the state in
consultaton with the Chief Election
Commissioner should organise and conduct
the Panchayati Raj elections.
10. Development functions should be
transferred to the Zila Parishad and all
development staff should work under its
control and supervision.
11. The voluntary agencies should play an
important role in mobilising the support of the
people for Panchayati Raj.
12. A minister for Panchayati Raj should be
appointed in the state council of ministers to
look after the affairs of the Panchayati Raj
13. Seats for SCs and Sts should be reserved
on the basis of their population.