Causes of rapid growth of population
Population generally increases because of
- High birth rate
- Relatively low death rate
Causes of high birth rate
- Agrarian economy: In an agrarian economy like India, children are considered as assets and not as a burden as they help in agricultural fields.
- Urbanisation: As urbanisation occurs at a slow pace in India, the social forces that lead people to have small families are not generated.
- Poverty: Due to poverty, there is an increase in the birth rate. Poor people tend to have large families.
- Early marriage: Marriages take place at quite a young age in India.
- Joint family: This system encourages people to have large families.
- Illiteracy: Illiteracy among people, especially women, causes people to have irrational attitudes and hence, big families.
Causes for fall in death rate
- Spread of education and awareness about medical health care
- Infrastructural facilities to deal with furies of nature like famines, droughts etc.
- Expansion of medical facilities to deal with general health
- Improved supply of potable water, improvement in nutritional level etc.