Properties of Acids
- Acids are Corrosive in Nature
Strong and Weak Acids
- Sulphuric acid, nitric acid and hydrochloric acid are known as strong acids.
- Organic acids such as acetic acid, formic acid, citric acid and also carbonic acid are known as weak acids.
We use carbonic acid in soft drinks and soda. The organic acids are used as food ingredients.
All Acids Contain Hydrogen : In fact, acid can be defined as that which contains replaceable hydrogen atom. This is clear from the formulae of acids.
Example : HCl, H2SO4, HNO3, CH3COOH
- Acid Solutions conduct Electricity : Pure water is a bad conductor of electricity. But when we add a little acid to the water, it (acidulated water) conducts electricity.
- Acids are Soluble in Water
- Action of Acids with Metals
- Action of Acids with Metallic Oxides
- Acids react with metal carbonates and bicarbonates to liberate Carbon dioxide Gas
- Action with indicators