Some Important Salts
- Potash alum or potassium aluminium sulphate, (K2SO4.Al2(SO4)3.24 H2O) is most widely used in water treatment plants for clarification of water. Second most important use is for sizing of paper in the paper industry. It also finds use in the dyeing industry for fixing of dyes.
- Silver nitrate (AgNO3) is widely used in photography for developing films. It is also used as an antiseptic.
- Copper sulphate (CuSO4.5H2O), commonly known as blue vitriol is the most important compound of copper. It finds wide application in electroplating. It is also used as an insecticide. It also finds applications as a germicide and to kill algae in swimming pool.
- Ferrous sulphate (FeSO4.7H2O), also known as green vitriol, is used in water clarification operations. It is also used in the ink industry and as an insecticide.
- Common salt is the salt that we use commonly in our daily food and is known as sodium chloride.
Generally sodium chloride is obtained from the evaporation of sea water. Sea water contains many dissolved salts. Sodium chloride is separated from these dissolved salts. Sodium chloride is the raw material for making many chemicals. The important compounds which are formed from sodium chloride are sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate, sodium hydrogen carbonate.