London - Industrialisation and the Rise of this Modern City in England
Western countries were largely rural.
Even after the Industrial Revolution :-
Industrial cities in Britain such as Leeds and Manchester attracted large number of people who were seeking employment in the textile industries.
In 1851, more than three-quarters of the adults living in Manchester were migrants from rural areas.
Slowly Industrialisation brought about urbanisation.
Now let us look at London, as it was in 1750
The Industries that flourished in London were..
- The shipping dockyards
- The clothing and footwear Industry
- The wood and furniture Industry
- The metal and engineering Industry
- The printing and stationery Industry
- The surgical instruments and watch Industry
During the First World War London began manufacturing motor cars and electrical goods, and these large factories employed nearly one-third of the labour force.