Flow of Facts
- Oxidation is the loss of electrons where as gain of electrons is reduction.
- The substance that is reduced is called an oxidant and that which is oxidized is a reductant.
- Redox reactions are the ones in which oxidation and reduction go hand in hand (simultaneously)
- Oxidation number is the charge acquired by an atom either by the loss or gain of electrons.
- Standard electrode potential is the potential at 25oC and 1 atm pressure.
- The electrochemical cells can be conveniently constructed by knowing the respective electrode potentials.
- The value of potential of a cell can be calculated in terms of their reduction potentials (Ecell = ER - EL). If this value is positive the cell reaction is spontaneous and vice versa.