IntroductionSecularism is the belief that no one should be discriminated on the basis of the religion he or she practices.
Now first let us see what religion is.
- Religion is the personal beliefs and practices relating to the divine.
- It is also people's beliefs and opinions concerning the existence, nature, and worship of the divine.
Now that we know what religion is, let us list out the major religions, people all over the world follow. Let us list them in alphabetical order.
The most recognized symbol of Judaism is the six pointed Star of David.
Now we know the major religions of this world and Secularism is not discriminating any citizen on the basis of the religion he or she practices.
Now let us look at an incidence, to understand the total meaning of secularism.
- United States of America is a country where Christian fundamentalism is very powerful, that is to say that a majority of the citizens are Christians.
- A Hindu or a Muslim, who is also living in the USA, is looking for a house which he can rent.
- The said person is a citizen of USA.
- Nobody is willing to rent him a house, as he is not a Christian.
- This makes the Hindu or the Muslim, who is not given the house, very angry.
- In his anger he feels that Christians should not be given houses in countries that are dominated by the Hindus or Muslims.
- If this goes on, then there will be no end to religious discrimination.
- The solution to this problem is fighting for justice in the right way.
- Justice means, all forms of domination or discrimination related to religion should end.
This is Secularism- the end to discrimination based on religion.