Where do these Pastorals Flourish?
Normally these pastorals flourish in the mountainous areas. This is because these areas are generally covered with lots of shrub forests, which provide food for the cattle and sheep.
Places in India where the Pastorals flourished.
- Jammu and Kashmir
- The Himalayas
- Andhra Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh
Let us look at them one by one
Bakarwals of Jammu were great herders of goat and sheep.
Bakarwals of Jammu
- Many of them migrated to this region in the nineteenth century in search of pastures for their animals.
- In winter, when the high mountains were covered with snow, they lived with their herds in low hills of the Siwalik range.
- The dry shrub forests here, provided pasture for their herds. Several household people came together for this journey, forming what is know as Kafila.
- They crossed the Pir Panjal passes and entered the valley of Kashmir.
- In summer, the snow melted and the mountainsides were lush green. The variety of grasses provided rich nutritious forage for the herds.