Trade with China
- The history of opium was linked with the story of British trade with China.
- East India Company was buying Tea and Silk from China.
- Tea became a popular drink in England.
- In 1785, about 15 million pounds of tea was imported into England.
- But England was producing nothing that could be sold in China.
- Even the Chinese ruler was unwilling to allow the entry of foreign goods.
Shipments of Tea
- The BritishÂ could buy tea only by paying in silver coins, which they were not willing to do.
- They searched for a commodity that they could sell in China.