What Happened to the Poor?
Enclosures put-up by the rich land owners resulted in the disappearance of the common land , hitherto used by the poor, for survival.
- When fences came up, the enclosed land became the property of the landowner.
- The poor had no right over the common area.
The Landless Poor
- These poor were displaced from their land.
- Deprived of their right and driven off from the land, they set out in search of work.
- They could not find secure jobs.
- They ended up doing a variety of odd jobs.
- By 1800 labourers were paid wages and employed only during harvest.
- Laborers were paid wages and employed only during harvest.
- The introduction of the Threshing Machine, made work insecure, employment uncertain and income unstable.
- For a very large part of the year the poor had no work.