Causes of Poverty
Causes of Poverty in India :
- Low level of economic development under the British colonial administration.
- Policies of the colonial government ruined traditional handicrafts.
- The colonial government discouraged development of industries like textiles.
- Low rate of growth persisted until the nineteen eighties.
- A high growth rate of population.
- The failure to promotion of economic growth and control population
The Green Revolution and the spread of irrigation has reduced the poverty percentage in India, to some extent.
Let us dwell a little more specifically into the causes of poverty in India.
Government reforms can alleviate poverty to a large extent