Representing Characters in Memory
- The data in a computer are not recognized with the help of alphabets.
- To represent the data there are many code representation available.
- These codes are called alphanumeric codes.
- It has 26 lower case characters, 25 uppercase characters, 10 digits, 7 punctuation marks and anywhere from 20 to 40 other characters.
- The various code formats available are
- ASCII (American Standard code for information interchange)
- ISCII ( Indian Script Code for Information interchange)
ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange)
- It is used microcomputers and minicomputers.
- It is a 7 bit code and so it has 27 = 128 possible code groups.
- The following table shows the listing of ASCII code