- They are used to feed data into a computer
- The first step taken in producing information is feeding the necessary data into the computer.
- The input devices are used to capture data and submit it to the central processing unit for processing.
- Generally, data to be processed is collected from various internal and external terminals.
- The various input devices are
|Note: The other input devices are touch screens, trackballs, magnetic card reader and OCR devices.|
- The following figure shows a sample keyboard
- A mouse is the standard tool for interacting with a graphical user interface.
- It controls the movement of the cursor on the display screen.
- It has a small ball inside which touches the pad through a hole at the bottom of the mouse.
- When the mouse is moved, the ball rolls.
- This movement of the ball is converted into signals and sent to the computer.
- You need to click the button at the top of the mouse to select an option.
- Mouse pad is a pad over which you can move a mouse.
|Note: The Mouse of Apple computers has only one button.|
It is an input device that allows information such as an image or text to be input into a computer.
It can read image or text printed on a paper and translate the information into a form that the computer can use.
It is used to convert images and text into a stream of data.
They are useful for publishing and multimedia application.
Scanners are of gray-scale and colour type.