History taking forms an important basis for the diagnosis.
Important questions asked are-
- Period of hair loss (congenital, acquired)
- Progression of hair loss, remission (alopecia areata may show remission).
- Family history of hair loss.
- H/O- gastrointestinal dysfunction.
- Medical History: Stress, Thyroid, Collagen, vascular disease, Drugs
- In females: menstrual and obstetric history.
- H/O chronic illness, blood loss, recent surgical intervention.
- H/O hair care routine and hair care products.
- Microscopic examination: Derma scope (Trichoscope).
- Trichogram (hair pluck test).
- Cross-section examination.