Medical and Surgical Complications in Pregnancy
36 weeks pregnant diabetic female with NST non-reactive. What should done next (AIIMS May 2011)
|A||Induction of labour|
|C||Do NST after 1 hr|
|D||Proceed to biophysical profile|
Proceed to biophysical profile
1. A non-reactive NST is an indication for doing a BPP.
2. It is not an indication for directly doing a LSCS or inducing labour
3. In babies of diabetic mother, the lung maturity is delayed and so pregnancy should not be terminated at 36 weeks.
4. But babies of diabetic mothers have one more risk, which is that of sudden IUFD at term (40 weeks).
5. So the babies of diabetic mothers should preferably be delivered between 38 and 39 weeks.
6. If the BPP score is poor then it is an indiction of immediate termination of pregnancy