A patient using contact lens develops corneal infection, laboratory diagnosis of acanthamoeba keratitis was established, The following is the best drug for treatment (LQ)
Acanth amoebic keratitis - free living protozoan. It is exists in trophozoite and encysted form . Both Propamidine and PHMB are specific for Acanth amoebic keratitis
Mode of infections Q
1. Contact lens cleaning using home made saline (from contaminated tap water and saline tablets)
1. Potassium hydroxide mount
2. Calcofluor white stain stains the cyst - bright apple green
3. Lactophenol cotton blue stained
4. Culture on non nutrient agar (E. coli enriched) may show trophozoites within 48 hours.
1. A combination of propamidine Q isethionate (0.1 %) (Brolene) and polyhexamethylene Qbiguanid 0.02% drops.