The Endocrine System
All statements are true about Nesidioblastosis except? (AIIMS Nov 2013)
|A||Hypoglycemic episodes are seen|
|B||Occurs more commonly in adults than in children|
|C||Histopathology shows hyperplasia of Islet cells|
|D||Diazoxide is used in treatment|
• Congenital hyperinsulinism was formerly termed as Nesidioblastosis
• It is also know as diffuse lslet cell hyperplasia
• It can occur in adults also but more commonly seen in neonates and children
• Hypoglycemic episodes occur due hyperinsulinemia.
• Medical management includes frequent feedings, Diazoxide and Somatostatin.