Oncology and Fibroids
Best indicator for ovarian reserve (AIIMS May 2011)
1. In women, FSH stimulates production of eggs and estradiol during the first half of the menstrual cycle.
2. In men, FSH stimulates production of sperm.
3. Disorders that may be associated with abnormal FSH results include:
b. Klinefelter syndrome
c. Polycystic ovary disease
d. Turner syndrome
e. Ovarian failure (ovarian hypofunction)
f. Precocious puberty in girls and boys
4. FSH levels are higher than normal in women with ovarian hypofunction (& hence it is a marker for ovarian reserve)
5. The most widely used endocrine marker for ovarian reserve is the early follicular phase FSH level. Early follicular (basal) FSH level has been shown to be an independent predictor of IVF outcome and is a stronger predictor of cycle cancellation due to poor response and the number of oocytes collected at pick-up.