Commonest type of emphysema (histologically) is - (LQ)
Types of Emphysema
a. Emphysema is classified according to its anatomic distribution within the lobule.
b. There are four major types of emphysema -
i. Centriacinar (centrilobular) emphysema
• Centriacinar emphysema is the most common type of emphysema seen clinically.
ii. Panacinar (panlobular) emphysema
• The acini are uniformly enlarged from the level of the respiratory bronchiole to the terminal blind alveoli.
iii. Distal acinar (paraseptal) emphysema
• This type of emphysema involves distal part of the acinus, while proximal part is normal.
iv. Irregular emphysema (para-cicatricial emphysema)
• The acinus is involved irregularly and is almost invariably associated with scarring.
• It is the most common type of emphysema histologically.