Liver & GIT
Councilman Bodies are seen in: (AIIMS Nov 07)
|C||Acute viral hepatitis|
|D||Auto immune hepatitis|
Pathology (Ref. Hari-18th ed, Pg 2545) – The typical morphologic lesion of all types of viral hepatitis are similar and consist of panlobular infiltration with mononuclear cells Q, hepatic cell necrosis Q, hyperplasia of Kupffer Q cells and variable degrees of cholestasisQ.
1. Hepatic cell regeneration is present evident by mitotic figures, multi nucleated cells and rosetteQ and pseudo acinar formation Q.
2. Mononuclear infiltration Q consists of lymphocytes, plasma cells and eosinophils.
3. Liver cell damage consists of (1) Necrosis of cell (2) Ballooning of cells (3) Acidophilic degeneration (Apoptosis) Q of hepatocytes (councilman bodies Q).
4. Bridging necrosis Q indicates more severe lesion.
5. In hepatitis C, there is relative paucity of inflammation.