Central Nervous System
Emotional effect to a physical response is given by:
"Emotions, behaviour; and "Limbic system"
1. Hypothalamus and limbic system are intimately concerned with emotional expression and with the genesis of emotions.
2. Limbic system is applied to the part of brain that consists of a rim of cortical tissue (Allocortexand juxtacortex) around hilum of cerebral hemisphere Amygdala Hippocampus and Septal nuclei
3. The major - connections of the limbic system are forming a closed circuit known as Papez circuit;
a. one characteristic of the limbic system is the paucity of connections between it and the neocortex
Another characteristic of limbic circuit is their prolong after discharge following stimulation.
4. Rage responses - minor stimuli evoke violent episodes - are observed after removal of the neocortex and after destruction of ventro-medial hypothalamic nuclei and septal nuclei in animal with intact cerebral cortices. i.e. emotional effect to a physical stimuli (Rage) is given by cerebral cortices.
5. Bilateral Temporal Lobectomy (= Bilateral Amygdaloid nuclei) ~ in monkey ~ causes a combination of changes in behaviour ~ known as Kluver - Bucy syndromeQ
6. Function of limbic system
a. Role in Olfaction Q
b. Emotional and Behavioural responses Q
c. Autonomic responses
d. Limbic system with Hypothalamus ~ it concerned with ~ sexual behaviourQ, the emotion of rage Q and fear Q, and motivationQ.