Vocal cords paralysis
For a mobile tumour on vocal cord, treatment is: (DNB Dec 2011)
|D||None of the above|
According to Dhingra
• Radiotherpy is the treatment of choice for vocal cord cancer with normal mobility.
• Normal mobility of cord suggests that growth is only limited to the surface and belongs to either stage T1 or T2.
• TOC for stage T1 of glottic carcinoma - radiotherapy.
• TOC for stage T2 of glottic carcinoma - depends on mobility of the cord
If vocal cords are mobile (. growth is limited to surface) Radiotherapy/micro laryngeal surgery is TOC
If local cords mobility is impaired (. deeper invasion)
Conservative surgery like vertical hemilaryngectomy or frotolateral hemilaryngectomy is TOC.
• If cord mobility is imparied radiotherapy is not preferred because of the possibility of developing perichondritis which would entail total laryngectomy .
• According to higher books - again micro laryngoscopic surgery is TOC in early cases but since this is not an option we are going with radiotherapy.