Diseases of The Ear
Fungus causing otomycosis most commonly is:[LQ]
Ref. Dhingra 5thled pg 58, 6thled p 52; Current otolaryngoly 2ndled pg 630; Scotts Brown 7thled vol3pg 3355
• It is fungal otitis externa
• Accounts for » 9- 10% cases of otitis extern a
• In 80% of these cases,the etiologic agent is aspergillus (A. niger> A. fungatus) whereas candida is the next most frequently isolated fungus.
• Other more rare fungal pathogens include
• Otomycosis is common in hot and humid dimate.
• It also occurs in patients using topical antibiotics for treatment of otitis externa or middle ear suppuration.
• Clinical feature:
- Intense itching
- -discharge with musty odor.
• On examination:
- A niger appears as black-headed filamentou~ growth.
- A fumigatus: as pale blue or green growth
- Candida: as white / creamy deposit.