Biomedical Waste Management, Disaster Management, Occupational Health, Genetics and Health, Mental Health
Inhalation of sugarcane dust could cause: (AIIMS Nov 2003)
1. Bagassosis occurs due to occupational exposure to fibrous residue of sugarcane (bagasse); Bagassosis has been shown to be due to Thermoactinomyces sacchari
2. Bagasse contains a percentage of silica, innumerable fungal spores and micro-organisms; Bagasse dust blocks bronchioles thus leading to bronchitis and bronchopneumonia
3. Prevention and Bagasse control measures:
- Keeping moisture content> 20%
- Spraying bagasse with 2% propionic acid (fungicide).
Bagassosis is a form of extrinsic allergic alveolitis
Organisms involved in causation of bagassosis:
- Thermoactinomyces sacchari
- Thermoactinomyces vulgaris
- Micropolyspora faeni.