- PATHO PHYSIOLOGY
- WITHIN 2 DAYS : feeling of hunger * followed by pain in the epigastrium lasts for 2 days.
- AFTER 4-5 DAYS : absorption of subcutaneous fat begins to occur.
- AFTER 7 DAYS : ketone bodies is the source of nutrition to the brain.
Heart uses acetoacetate as energy source.
- THE CHANGES ARE:
- CAUSE OF DEATH
- Death occurs from circulatory failure due to brown atrophy of heart or infection.
- The loss of 40 % body weight is fatal.
- P.M. APPEARANCE:
- Heart is small, with brown atrophy and chambers are empty.
- Brain is the only organ which do not show reduction in size and weight.
- Stress factures are present.
- Gall bladder is distended *.
- If both water and food are completely withheld, a person will die in 10-12 days.