Last Minute Revision Points
- Commonest haematological malignancy in children: ALL
- In sickle cell anaemia p chain afJectecf2
- The most common complications measles is : (1). Otitis media, (2). Pneumonia
- Acute stage of poliomyelitis lasts for : 10 to 15 days
- Commonest cause of jaundice in a new born with in 24 hrs: Rh- iso-immunisation
- Unconjugated hyperbilirubinemia in new born is caused by following: breast milk jaundice, spherocytosis,
- Gilbert's syndrome
- Following are seen In necrotising enterocolitis: abdominal distention, intestinal perforation, gangrene of bowel
- In Down's syndrome Endocardial cushion defect is common.
- Heart failure is Not seen in ASD.
- Pansystolic murmur is Not caused by MS.
- In RICKETS Vit. D is given in form of 1,25 dihydroxy cholecalciferol
- Klinefelter's syndrome: 47xxy
- Most common cause of hypertension in child: chronic Glomerulonephritis
- Commonest cause of stridor in new born: laryngomalacia
- E.coli bacteria most often responsible for UTi in childhood
- 90% cases of Minimal change disease respond to Steroid therapy
- Commonest cause of meningitis in post natal period is: Strep. Pneumoniae
- Febrile convulsion follows high fever.
- In hyperparathyroidism Ca + increases and P04 decreases
- Precocious puberty is seen in : McCune Albright syndrome
- Recurrent respiratory infections occur in the following diseases: Bronchiectasis ,ASD, Wheezy brollchitisQ
- Down's syndrome is Trisomy of chromosome : 21
- Moro's reflex abnormal after: 12 weeks/3 months
- Commonest leukemia in children is : ALLQ
- In children Craniobates is found in : Rickets, Hydrocephalus, Syphilis
- NOT seen in Fallot's Tetralogy :ASDQ
- CHF in children best diagnosed by: Tachycardia and tender hepatomegaly
- APGAR score of a child born blue with HR 70/mt. Floppy with feeble cry with grimacing on nasal suction is: 3
- A child with diarrhoea has deep and rapid respiration. Diagnosis is: Metabolic acidosisQ
- The percentage rise in length of infant in 1st yr. Of life: 50%
- The most common cause of under 5 mortality is: respiratory infection
- A neonate after 12 hrs. Of birth passes black colored meconium it is : Normal Findings
- 35 Fetal movements NOT used to assess IUGR .
- Sure sign of CCF in an infant is : liver enlargement
- 15 months old child does: Feeds himself, says 3 words, creeps upstairs
- At age of12 mnths/1 yr Q Child sees the toy and then again hides it and gives to mother if she asks for.
- Commonest nephritic syndrome in child is Minimal change disease:
- A six yrs. Old girl child presents with spotting, no secondary sexual characteristic present is due to : Foreign body
- Metabolic acidosis is accompanied with: Acetazolamide
- Systemic infection of diphtheria and commonest cause of death in diptheric child is: Myocarditis
- Best method of diagnosis of HIV in childhood: P24 antigen
- Hyaline membrane disease is seen in following: Radiation pneumnitis, viral pneumonitis, uremic pneumonitis
- Attainment of weight in a preschool normal child is: 3-3.5 kg
- Sub acute sclerosing pan encephalitis is complication of: Measles
- Casoni's test is diagnostic of: Echinococcus Granulosum
- Epiphyseal dysgenesis is a pathognomonic feature of: Hypothyroidism
- Organism in bronchiolitis is : RSy
- Steroids is useful in : minimal change disease
- Earliest indication of sexual maturation in a girls is : Thelarche
- The first permanent tooth to erupt are usually the: First molar
- Blood specimen for neonatal thyroid screening is obtained on : cord blood just after birth
- Treatment of choice for thalassemia major is: Blood transfusion and desferrioxamineQ
- In MaCune-Albright's syndromeQ sexual precocity, multiple cystic bone lesions and endocrinopathies are seen.
- Buerger nephropathy is due to mesangial deposition of :IgA and C3
- Commonest cause of heart failure in infancy is: congenital heart disease
- Congenital long QT syndrome is associated with neonatal sinus bradycardia
- Pawn ball megakaryocytes are characteristic of: Myelodysplastic syndrome
- Single gene defect causing multiple unrelated problems : PleiotropismQ
- A new born baby presented with perfuse bleeding from umbilical stump after birth. Probable diagnosis is : Factor- XIII deficiency
- Common to both acute and chronic malnutrition is: Weight for Height
- Most common cause of renal artery stenosis in children in India is: Takayasu aortoarteritis
- Drug of choice for rheumatic fever prophylaxis in penicillin allergic patient: Erythromycin
- Essential criteria for TOF includes all, except: Valvular stenosis
- TOF includes: RVH, YSD, Pulmonary stenois/infundibular stenosis, over riding aorta
- Most common inherited childhood tumor is: Retinoblastoma
- Turner's syndrome is maximally associated with: Bicuspid Aortic valve (50 %), coartaction of aorta (30 %)
- Most common sequel to periventricular leukomalacia: Spastic diplegia
- Neonate with recurrent infection and abscess diagnosed of Kostmann syndrome (Congenital Neutropenia). Treatment includes: Antithymocyte globulin+Cyclosporin+G-CSFQ
- Pentalogy of Fallot :TOF + ASD
- Most sensitive indicator of intravascular volume in infant is : Heart Rate
- Chang-staging in : Medulloblastoma
- Wilm's tumor is NOT associated with bilateral polycystic kidney
- A 3.5 kg baby born to diabetic mother develops seizures at 16 hours. The most likely diagnosis is: Hypoglycemia
- Color is NOT used in term a baby as vigorous.
- Early neonatal sepsis in India is most commonly due to : Group B Streptococci
- Aniridia is associated with: Nephroblastoma (Wilmâ€™s tumor)
- OmphaloceleQ is associated with >20% risk of chromosomal anomalies.
- Most common cause of acute infantile gastroenteritis: Rota virus
- Height usually keeps after: 2 yrs
- Length usually before: 2 yrs
- AdrenarcheQ starts at age of 7 yrs.
- Tanner staging system is for: Normal puberty
- A girl with primary amenorrhoea with normal breast with hirsuitism and acne. She has: PCOD
- Predominant site of erythropoiesis during 7 month of gestation: Liver
- Preterm apnoea is defined as cessation of respiration for atleast 15 seconds
- Pediatric hypoglycaernia is defined as blood sugar below 55 mg %
- Left axis deviation is seen in: Wolf pakinnon-white syndrome, Septum primum, COPD
- Which comes early in new born: Motor junction
- HT with virilisation : 11 beta syndroxylase deficiency
- Dose of Vit A at 9 months :1 lac IU
- Time required for air to ravel to descending colon in neonate: 8-9 hrs
- ThelarcheQ occurs at 11 yrs. Of age.
- A 5 yrs. Child with hepatomegaly, hypoglycemia, ketosis: Glycogen storage disease
- Commonest tumor in a child in posterior cranial fossa: Medulloblastoma
- Lowes syndrome (Oculo-cephalo-renal syndrome): Hypophosphatemic Rickets + Aminoaciduria + CNS and eye defects
- Potters syndrome: Pulmonary hypoplasia + renal hypoplasia +ear Deformities.
- Cat eye syndrome: partial trisomy 22
- Floppy baby syndrome: due to clostridium botulinium
- Dandy walker syndrome: due to obstruction of Foramen of Magiende and Lushcka.
- Mc Leod syndrome: unilateral pseudoemphysema occurring in child hood.
- Williams Syndrome: infantile hypercalcemia.
- Caudal regression syndrome: Seen in child born to uncontrolled diabetic mother
- The gene for Wilson's disease is on: long arm of Chromosome 13
- X-ray of which of the following would be most appropriate for determining bone age at 7 months: Shoulder
- Thelarche is the first sign of puberty in girls
- After premature delivery, mother's milk is low in: lactose
- In kwashiorkor, the letter 'K' is post-fixed to denote Edema
- Treatment of C. difficle infection: Metronidazole, Bacitracin, Nitazoxanilide
- Most common type of Congenital adrenal hyperplasia: 21-hydroxylase deficiency
- Child begins to sit with support, able to transfer objects from one hand to another hand and speak monosyllabic babbles at he age of: 6 months
- Incubation period of mumps is 14-24 days
- A new borne with respiratory distress not responding to surfactant & past baby's death from similar cause suggest: Neonatal alveolar proteinosis.
- Vomiting, abdominal distention, failure to thrive with adrenal calcification suggests Wolman's Disease
- Triad of diarrhea, dementia, dermatitis is for Pellagra
- In congenital rubella, there is high risk before 16 weeks.
- Cause of severe chest infection in cystic fibrosis child is Burkholderia capecia
- Mutation in congenital epidermolysis bullosa is in Collagen type VII.
- In a child after a normal sweat chloride test, next test for cystic fibrosis done is Transnasal Potential difference
- A mother with history of inadequate intake of spiramycin having a baby with hydrocephalus & calcification suggests: Toxoplasmosis
- For BCG Vaccine, WHO recommends Danish 1331 strain.
Lipid metabolism Disease
Alpha galactoside - A (Ceramide trihexoside accumulates) Sphingomyelinase (RBC appear as foam cells)
Hexosaminidase A and B
Lipid metabolism disturbed (Low Alpha lipoprotein)
Presenting features of common poisonings children:
Acute liver failure
Non ketotic hypoglycemia
CNS depression, fits, pyrexia