Most of the parotid tumor are managed by:
|D||Radical parotidectomy and neck dissection|
Treatment Of Choice For Pleomorphic Adenoma
• In parotid gland: superficial parotidectomy
• In other salivary glands: excision of the affected gland?
Treatment Of Salivary Gland Tumors
- Principal treatment of cancer of salivary glands is surgical excision, used either as a single modality or in most cases, in conjunction with adjuvant radiation therapy.
· Superficial parotidectomy with preservation of facial nerve
· Total parotidectomy? with nerve preservation if deep lobe is involved
Other salivary glands
· En-bloc excision? of tumor (involved gland)
• Neck dissection for lymph nodes: In clinically palpable nodes and High grade malignancies
Indications of radiotherapy in Salivary Gland Tumors
• High grade tumors • Bone Invasion
• Large primary lesions • Cervical LN metastasis
• Perineural invasion? • Positive surgical margins
• No role of chemotherapy in salivary gland tumors due to incomplete-end short lived response without any survival advantage.