Ring sideroblasts are characteristically seen in: (AIPG 2009)
|D||Anemia of chronic disease|
Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS)
1. The myelodysplasia are clonal disorders characterized clinically and morphologically by defective and ineffective hematopoiesis.
2. They are the result of pathology in the hematopoietic stem cells and are thus characterized by cytopenia of varying degree in red cell, white cell, and megakaryocytic lines.
3. All have a tendency to terminate in AML.
4. Chromosomal abnormalities loss of chromosome 5 (13%) and chromosome 7 (5%), trisomy 8 (5%), and deletions of parts of chromosomes 17 and 20.
1. RA 2. RARS 3. RAEB 4. RAEB + (Transformation) 5. Ch myelomonocytic anemia.
Extra Edge: Causes of MDS, 1. Radiation 2. Benzene exposure 3. Late toxicity of Busulphan, nitrosurea, Procarbazine, Topoisomerase inhibitor.