Study of a person who has already contracted the disease is called: (AIIMS Nov 08)
|D||None of the above|
Study of a person who has already contacted the disease is known as a case control study.
- An epidemiological study where a group of individuals with disease (CASE) are compared with a group of individuals who are not suffering from disease (CONTROLS) in terms of specific disease causing exposures.
- Since the starting point is a group of people who already have suffered from the disease, this is labeled as a retrospective study.(BACKWARD LOOKING STUDY)
This method has three distinct features.
1. Both exposure and outcome (disease) have occurred before the start of the study.
2. The study proceeds backwards from effect to cause.
3. It uses a control or comparison group to support or refute an inference.
Other observational study designs are as follows:
1. Observational study or prevalence study
2. Useful for chronic disease when interest is to find out the distribution of disease
3. Less expensive / less time required in establishing relationship.
1. Useful to study the natural history of disease and its future outcome.
2. Identifies the risk factors of disease
3. Finds out the incidence of disease but more expensive and more time consuming.