Female Genital Tract
The cytogenicity of solid tumors is not easily assessed especially in carcinoma cervix because (AIIMS May 2014)
|A||Metaphase is distinct|
|B||Due to contamination with infectious agents|
|C||High mitotic rate|
|D||Deficient tissue sample|
• Cytogenetics is the study of chromosome structure which can be done with techniques like karyotyping or molecular techniques (FISH, spectral karyotyping/multicolor FISH, comparative genomic hybridization). These techniques needs metaphase (more commonly) but can be applied to interphase also. Cytogenetics is easy if the metaphase is distinct. So, culture is often done in solid tumors to get the cells in metaphase'
• Cytogenetics is also easier if mitotic rate is high'
The problems with cytogenetics are:
• Unpredictable growth of the neoplastic cells in tissue culture
• Overgrowth of neoplastic cells by reactive non-neoplastic cells
• Contamination of tumor cultures by bacteria or fungi
• Predominance of nonviable tumor (necrotic sample)
Deficient tissue sampling like sampling from nonrepresentative areas or the necrotic areas will impair the results in most of the solid tumors but the commonest problem with cancer of the cervix is the high contamination rate' So, option 'B' is better than option 'D'.