The major toxicity of acetaminophen overdose involves: (AIPG 2012)
|B||Acid base metabolism|
1. Early manifestations of poisoning with acetaminophen (paracetamol) are nausea, vomiting, diaphoresis, and pallor.
2. CNS depression is absent.
3. Within 24 to 48 hr, hepatotoxicity is manifested by right upper quadrant tenderness and mild hepatomegaly.
4. Laboratory evidence of hepatic toxicity includes prolongation of the prothrombin time and elevation of serum bilirubin and SGPT/SGOT.
5. Severe poisoning may cause hepatic failure.