Loading....
Coupon Accepted Successfully!

PSM

Open Flashcards

Biostatistics

Question
12 out of 76
 

The mean blood pressure of a group of people is 105. The standard deviation was 10. What is the range of values for the 95% confidence interval?



A 95-115
B 85-125

C 75-135
D 104-106

Ans. B 85-125

Ref: High Yield Biostatistics, Pg: 14, 15, 22 & 23

95% confidence interval includes values within 2 standard deviations of the mean (µ±2SD). Since the SD is 10, twice of the SD would be 2X 10 = 20. Hence,

µ - 2SD = 105 – 20 = 85 &

µ + 2SD = 105 + 20 = 125

So 95% CI would include values ranging from 85 – 125.

This is the central 95% of the distribution and the remaining 5% of the distribution would be distributed equally on the two sides of this confidence limit. Hence, there will be 2.5% of the values in this distribution which will be smaller than µ - 2SD (< 85) and another 2.5% of the distribution which will be greater than µ + 2SD (> 125).

Biostatistics Flashcard List

76 flashcards
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)
31)
32)
33)
34)
35)
36)
37)
38)
39)
40)
41)
42)
43)
44)
45)
46)
47)
48)
49)
50)
51)
52)
53)
54)
55)
56)
57)
58)
59)
60)
61)
62)
63)
64)
65)
66)
67)
68)
69)
70)
71)
72)
73)
74)
75)
76)