WHITE PHOSPHORUS RED PHOSPHORUS
GARLIC ODOUR odourless
LUMINIOUS in the dark non luminous
- when exposed to atmosphere it gives white fumes of phosphoric acid.
- Red phosphorus used on the striking surface of match box.
- (tip of match stick contains potassium chlorate + antimony sulphide).
- Accidental death in children who have eaten FIRE CRACKERS or RAT POISON.
- When acute, symptoms like any other irritant poison after a 2 days gap sym due to absorbed poison. Mainly damages LIVER & KIDNEY.
- NECROBIOSIS: Phosphorus is a protoplasmic poison, its effects are comparable to ischemia. Deposition of glycogen in liver is inhibited while deposition of fat is increased â FATTY DEGENERATION. Jaundice and distention of abdomen due to enlargement & necrosis of liver.
- YELLOW ATROPHY: Shrunken liver due to necrosis , it occurs in late stages.
- Urine contains crystals of tyrosine, leucine and cystine due to disturbed metabolism.
- PHOSSY JAW: Osteomyelitis of lower jaw bone (in the region of decayed tooth) with multiple sinus discharging foul smelling pus.
- Hypoprothrombinaemia leads to purpura and epistaxis.
- Nervous system : frontal pain , insomnia , ringing in the ears , impaired vision,
- FORMICATION, cramps , paralysis , priapism.
- Fatal dose : 60- 120 mg
- Oil , milk , fatty substances C/I as they promote its absorption.
- POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE acts as chemical antidote.
- COPPER SULPHATE may be used as antidote.
- LIQUID PARAFFIN retards absorption.
- VIT K useful in treatment.
- IV SALINE to combat shock.
- IV DEXTROSE to protect the liver.
- PERITONEAL or HAEMODIALYSIS to combat renal failure.
- SKIN BURNS washed with 1% copper sulphate solution.
- PM APP : In early cases same as any irritant poison. In late cases body is emaciated, smell of garlic. Jaundice & Hgâ under the skin and various natural orifices.
- STOMACH MUCOSA: Grayish white or yellowish, softened, inflamed and corroded.
- SUBENDOCARDIAL Hgâ in the left ventricle.
- The blood is tarry with reduced coagulability.
- Viscera is preserved in common salt, not in spirit to preserve the luminosity.
- PHOSPHORUS IN FREE FORM IS SIGNIFICANT not the phosphates.