True about salivary gland:
|A||There are more than 400 minor glands|
|B||90% of all parotid tumors are malignant|
|C||90% of minor salivary tumors are malignant|
|D||Superficial parotidectomy done in parotid tumors|
|E||Warthin's tumor common in parotid|
Minor Salivary Glands
• The mucosa of the oral cavity contains approximately 450 minor salivary glands,
• They are distributed in the mucosa of the lips, cheeks, palate, floor of the mouth and retromolar area.
• These minor salivary glands also appear in other areas of the upper aerodigestive tract including the oropharynx, larynx and trachea as well as the sinuses.
• Overall, they contribute to 10% of the total salivary volume
• Their secretion is mainly mucous in nature and has many functions such as coating the oral cavity with saliva.