Use of tamoxifen in HRT does not lead to ↑ in (LQ)
|C||Ca in contralateral breast|
- Tamoxifen is the drug of choice for prevention of breast cancer.
- It therefore, does not increase the risk of breast cancer.
- Indeed, if there is a chance of cancer in the contralateral breast; it is the preferred drug.
It is approved both for early and advanced cancer.
- The drug works better in case of hormone receptor positive breast cancer and is equally useful in pre and postmenopausal women. It is also the drug of choice for painful gynecomastia. Since it is a partial agonist of estrogen receptors; it blocks estrogen receptors on breast and stimulates them on bone and uterus.
- This can lead to endometrial cancer. It is a useful drug to treat anovulatory cycle. It has also been tried in bipolar disorder as it blocks protein kinase-C. Interestingly, it has anti-angiogenesis property (BG Katzung’ 10th Edition, pp-761-62).