Vaccine contraindicated during pregnancy is:
All live attenuated vaccines are contraindicated during pregnancy viz: BCG, Measles, Rubella, OPV etc.
Amongst the options rubella is a live vaccine and hence a C/I in pregnancy.
Rubella - cause is a virus (one antigenic type) of the togavirus family.
1. Characterized by low grade fever, lymphadenopathy and a maculopapular rash
2. Most of the infections are subclinical
3. Period of infectivity is 7 days before and 7 days after the eruption of rash
4. One attack give life-long immunity
5. 40% of women of childbearing age are susceptible to rubella
6. IP is 18 days'
7. There is no role of environmental factors in transmission
8. Nearly 50-65% cases are asymptomatic
9. Postauricular and posterior cervical lymph nodes appear even 7 days before rash. Rash may be absent in subclinical cases (25% cases)
- Thrombocytopenic purpura
Congenital Rubella-rubella virus affects cell division
First trimester of pregnancy is the most dangerous time
Classical triad is: Patent ductus arteriosus
Infection in the second trimester may cause deafness but infection after 16 week cause no major abnormality.