Which is Not true:
|A||Preservative is DTP is thimerosal|
|B||Preservative in BCG is neomycin|
|C||Kanamycin preservative in measles|
|D||Mgcl2 in OPV|
Some important Facts about vaccines & preservatives they contain:
1. BCG contains no preservative as these may hamper the viability of the bacilli. Hence, bacterial contamination may occur with repeated use.
2. Therefore once constituted, vaccine should be used within 4 hours with the left over being discarded after the session.
MMR, Measles, Influenza, Hep B, DTaP & HiB vaccines contain thiomersal or mercury containing preservatives.
3. However, after some stray reports claiming increased incidence of autism in children (although none were proved on subsequent epidemiological studies) after administration of thiomersal containing MMR & measles vaccine, use of thiomersal as a preservative in vaccines is now very limited.
4. Presently manufactured measles, MMR, OPV vaccines do not contain any preservative.
But OPV does contain trace amounts of neomycin & streptomycin. IPV contains neomycin, streptomycin &
5. Chickenpox vaccine contains neomycin & MMR also contains neomycin. DTaP i.e. DPT vaccine with acellular pertussis component is also devoid of thiomersal.