1 out of 33
Which of the following is least narcotic (LQ)
Ans. D Papaverine (Ref: BG Katzung, pp-531, 11th Edition, 2009)
- Papaverine is one of the product of juice of poppy plant and is deprived of narcotic property.
- The drug is used most commonly as a penile vasodilator. It is the drug of choice for impotent patient with spinal cord injury.
- However, repeated injections should be avoided as that may lead to penile fibrosis. Heroin is diacetylmorphine and is synthetic a prodrug of morphine with high abuse potential.
- Codeine is a weak partial agonist of mu receptors while morphine is the main alkaloid obtained from juice of poppy plant.
- Codeine is commonly used as an antidiarroheal, anti-cough medication. However drug of choice for suppression of cough on routine basis is dextromethorphan, a synthetic opioid with NMDA antagonist action.
- It must be noted that cough should be dry. Productive cough should not be suppressed.