The Endocrine System
Which of the following is true about pituitary tumor? (LQ)
|A||It present in 10% of brain tumors.|
|B||Erodes the sella and extends into surrounding area|
|C||Prolactinoma is least common|
|D||It is differentiated by reticulin stain|
• 10% of all intracranial neoplasms are pituitary tumors.
• Benign adenomas are most common
• The most common pituitary adenoma is microadenoma and about70% microadenomas are prolactinoma.
• The tumor can erode the sella and extends into surrounding area and gives rise to local mass effect.
• Cellular monomorphism and absence of significant retificant reticulin network distinguishes pituitary adenomas from nonneoplastic anterior pituitary parenchyma.