Which of the following is the mechanism of abortion sticks? (AIPG 2008)
|A||Stimulation of uterine contraction|
|C||Irritation of the GIT|
|D||Irritation of the genito-urinary tract|
Stimulation of uterine contraction
1. The main mechanism of the use of abortion sticks is to produce an irritant action on the uterus so as to induce uterine contractions and expulsion of the fetus.
2. Abortion stick is an object used to procure illegal abortion by unskilled interference by either self or by someone else (a dai/midwife).
3. It usually consists of a specially made wooden or bamboo stick about 15–20 cm long or a twig of similar length with some irritant plant such as Madar (Calotropis), Chitra (Plumbago zeylanica) or Kaner (Nerium odorum) applied at one of its ends.
4. The irritant substance is applied to some cotton wool or a piece of rag at one end of the stick.
5. The abortion sick is introduced into the os of the uterus thus causing abortion with or without rupture of the membranes.
6. Excoriation, bruising or perforation of the vagina or uterus may occur as a result of the irritant action of the substance.