Which of the following about atherosclerosis is true?
|A||Intake of unsaturated fatty acid associated with decreased risk|
|B||Thoracic aorta involvement is more severe than abdominal aorta involvement|
|C||Extent of lesion in veins is same as that in arteries|
|D||Hypercholesterolemia does not always increase the risk of atherosclerosis perse|
Intake of unsaturated fatty acid associated with decreased risk
1. Atherosclerosis is a condition in which an artery wall thickens as a result of the accumulation of fatty materials such as cholesterol.
2. It is a syndrome affecting arterial blood vessels, a chronic inflammatory response in the walls of arteries, caused largely by the accumulation of macrophage white blood cells and promoted by low-density lipoproteins without adequate removal of fats and cholesterol from the macrophages by functional high density lipoproteins (HDL),
3. It is commonly referred to as a hardening or furring of the arteries.
4. It is caused by the formation of multiple plaques within the arteries.
The atheromatous plaque is divided into three distinct components:
2. Underlying areas of cholesterol crystals
3. Calcification at the outer base of older/more advanced lesions.