Which of the following statements regarding fibrocystic condition of the breast is true?
|A||It generally disappears after menopause|
|B||It is associated with an increased incidence of carcinoma of the breast|
|C||If the diagnosis is entertained a biopsy should be carried out|
|D||It may cause pain that can be controlled by danazol|
a. FBC is common and may present as breast pain, a breast mass, nipple discharge, or abnormalities on mammography.
b. The patient presenting with a breast mass or thickening and suspected FBC should be re-examined in a short interval, preferably on day 10 of the menstrual cycle, when hormonal influence is lowest. Often, the mass will have diminished in size.
c. A persistent dominant mass must undergo further radiographic evaluation, biopsy, or both to exclude cancer
Treatment of FCD
- Topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (diclofenac gel) significant efficacy with minimal side effects and should be considered first-line treatment
- Tamoxifen (an estrogen antagonist) provide good pain .
- Danazol (a derivative of testosteronE. is efficacious but significant side effects (hirsutism, voice changes, acne, amenorrhea, and abnormal liver enzymes levels) limit its use.
- Bromocriptine and gonadorelin analogs should be reserved for severe refractory mastalgia due to significant side effects.
- Evening primrose oil is often used but has been shown to have no benefit over placebo in clinical trials .