Which of the following statements is incorrect in relation to pregnant women with epilepsy? (LQ)
|A||The rate of congenital malformation is increased in the offspring of women with epilepsy|
|B||Seizure frequency increases in approximately 70% of women|
|C||Breast feeding is safe with most anticonvulsants|
|D||Folic acid supplementation may reduce the risk of neural tube defect|
Seizure frequency increases in approximately 70% of women
1. Frequency of seizures is unchanged in majority of women during pregnancy (50%) and increased in 30 % cases, reduced in 20% cases.
2. Estrogen activates seizure foci.
3. There is increase plasma clearance of anti-seizure drugs.
4. Adverse effects on mother are bleeding in third trimester and megaloblastic anemia; probable due to anti-seizure drug induced folate deficiency.
5. Birth-defects are increased by two times. There is no contraindication for breastfeeding. Folic acid 1mg daily should be continued throughout pregnancy.