Which vaccine should not be given to a child suffering from convulsions? (AIIMS Nov 09)
Pertussis component in DPT
- Killed whole cell preparation
- 3 surface components (agglutinogens 1,2,3)
- Lack of anyone renders vaccine inadequate
- Personal or strong family history of epilepsy, convulsions or similar CNS disorders
- Any febrile upset until fully recovered
- Or a reaction to one of the previously given triple vaccine injections.
So it is contraindicated in a child who is suffering from convulsions. Acellular pertusis vaccine(a new vaccine) can be given to such children.