- Number of ways of selecting r objects out of n objects
- Number of ways of giving r objects to n people, such that repetition is allowed
- In how many ways 3 stocks can be chosen out of 10 stocks in a portfolio? (Combination)
- Choosing 3 out of 10 stocks is basically the number of combinations of 3 objects out of 10
- Therefore, the number of ways are
- In how many ways 3 stocks can be sold, if the sold stock is bought back in the portfolio before the next stock is sold?
- First stock can be sold in 10 ways
- Second can be sold in again 10 ways
- Third stock can again be sold in 10 ways
- Therefore total number of ways become =103 = 1,000
You wish to choose a portfolio of 3 bonds and 4 stocks from a list of 5 bonds and 8 stocks.
How many different 7 asset portfolio can you make from this list.
There are 10 sprinters in the Olympic finals. How many ways can the gold, silver, and bronze medals be awarded?
10P3 = 720
Please note that this is a case of Permutation and not Combination.