- It is basically a two-stage switching electronic circuit in which the output of the first stage is fed to the input of the second stage & vice versa.
- Here, output of two stages are complement to each other.
- It is of three types: astable, monostable & bistable.
- Astable Multivibrator :
- It is also known as free running multivibrator.
- It generates square waves without any external triggering pulse.
- This multivibrator does not have stable states i.e., have two quasi stable states where it switches back & forth from one state to each other.
Fig. : Astable Multivibrator
- Monostable Multivibrator :
- It is also known by the name of monoshot or one-shot multivibrator or univibrator.
- This multivibrator has one stable state & one quasi-stable state.
Fig. : Monostable Multivibrator
- Bistable Multivibrator
- It is also known as flip flops or Eccles-Jordan circuit.
- This multivibrator has two stable states.
Fig. : Bistable Multivibrator