These programming languages are classified into three general types as given below:
- Machine languages
- Assembly languages
- High-level languages
The Machine language has the following advantages:
- This is suitable for small and simple programs.
- This program execution is very fast and requires less computation time.
- Generally, this language is suitable for prototype applications in the final product.
The disadvantages of machine-language programs are the following:
- A program written in machine code is a set of binary numbers. Therefore, program writing is difficult and time consumable.
- It is also very difficult to understand the program, which is written in machine language or hexadecimal form.
- Since the program is always written in 0s and 1s, each bit has to be entered individually. Time taken for data entry becomes very slow and tiresome.
- There is always some possibility of errors in writing programs. Even a single bit error in any instruction can generate unsatisfactory results.
- Programs are long.