Democracy is a form of government that allows people to choose their rulers. Under democracy, the power of the government is in the hands of the people. The government frames policies according to the wishes of the people. Democracy promotes the spirit of justice, equality, liberty and brotherhood among the individuals.
Types of Democracy
- Direct Democracy
- Indirect democracy
Values/Benefits of Democracy
- Administration is in the hands of the people.
- There is no scope for domination of any race, religion or language because all are equal under this system.
- Legislative is constituted by the elected representatives and people are obedient to the decisions taken by them.
- Liberty, fearlessness and regular elections give power into the hands of people.
- Independence of judiciary protects the rights of the citizens.
- The fundamental rights provide opportunity for the progress of the individual.
- Universal adult franchise (one person, one vote, one value).
Defects/Weakness of Democracy
- A majority party can at times become dictatorial.
- The competition among the political parties for power can harm democracy.
- Muscle power, money, caste and other factors play their role during elections and, thus, harm democracy.
- Anti-social elements can manage to come to power under this system.