Rearrange the following six sentences 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 in the proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph; then answer the questions given below them—
1. However if this happens it will cause problems for the elderly who mainly use cheques.
2. The use of cheques has fallen dramatically in the past few years.
3. Thus cheques may be phased out gradually making sure that the needs of all consumers including the elderly are met.
4. This is because more and more consumers are transferring money electronically by direct debit or credit cards.
5. Without cheques they are likely to keep large amounts of cash in their homes making them vulnerable to theft.
6. British banks have thus voted to phase cheques out in favour of these more modern payment methods.
Which of the following should be the FIRST sentence after rearrangement?