Read each of the following passages and answer the items that follow. Your answers to these items should be based on the passages only.
From the end of 1929, New Delhi’s Government house had been the home and headquarters to the men ruling India on the British King or Emperor’s behalf—Irwin, Willingdon, Linlithgow, Wavel and Mountbatten. The great Edwin Lutyens had chosen its location at the western end of Kingsway near the Purana Quila or the Old Fort Citadel of ancient rulers. He also designed its shape, contents and surroundings.
The five-acre building had a mile-and-a-half of corridors and 340 rooms. The Darbar Hall was for occasional visit of the king, for his address to his subjects. In the Banquet Hall and the Ball Room, the other grand room, the jewels, coronets and tiaras of many Indian princesses and of five Viceroys and Vicereines had glittered under crystal chandeliers.
Now in June 1948 this was going to be the home of one whose father had once known, and prized, a Rs. 5/- a month salary and who himself, until the Mahatma changed him, had thought of the bullet and the bombs as the means of ending British rule. The rule had ended, but India was dominion and C.R. would enter the Government House as the King’s representative. He would be first Indian Governor General replacing Mountbatten, the last British King’s representative. It was an irony that had flowed over from fables to real life. C.R. imagined himself shaking hands with Warren Hastings across the ages and saying, “You were the first and I am the last”. Hastings had however, great powers, but C.R. would not have them. They belonged to Jawaharlal and Patel. But the two would lean on him as they had leaned on Mountbatten. Over the 18 months Rajaji charmed diplomats and helped sustain Nehru-Patel partnership. He knew how a constitutional Governor-General had to behave, how to keep limits and yet how to break the limits.
In June 1948, the Government House in New Delhi became the home of